Description of Recipe:-
CINNAMON SUGAR SOFT PRETZEL RECIPE
1. Empty and mix together the contents of the bag labelled dough mix and the yeast packet into a large and deep bowl or the work bowl of your stand mixer.
2. Measure 237ml (231g or 8.2oz or 1 US cup) of lukewarm water into contents of the bowl.
3. Use a wooden spoon or your hand to combine until dough starts to form.
4. Then with mixer fitted with dough hook, mix on low until a fairly slack, tacky, soft and smooth dough is formed. The dough will pull away from the sides of the bowl. (about 8 minutes) OR Turn dough onto a clean surface and knead with hands for about 15 minutes until a fairly slack, tacky, soft and smooth dough is formed. You should not need to add any more flour to either the surface or your hands.
5. Very lightly grease a clean bowl with oil (e.g. vegetable oil, sunflower oil etc.) and place dough in the bowl.
6. Cover with a damp tea towel or lightly greased cling film and leave to rest in a warm, draft-free place for 15 minutes. (avoid leaving for longer than this as dough may become too soft to work with)
7. Preheat oven to 200°C.
8. Lightly grease a baking tray with oil set next to your working area.
9. Turn the dough out onto a very lightly oiled surface and flatten out. Do not oil the surface you will be rolling the dough out on. Cut the dough into 10 equal pieces with a sharp knife or pizza cutter. Take a piece of dough and cover the rest with a damp tea towel or lightly oiled cling film.
10. Roll the piece of dough on your work surface with both hands to about 36cm long working from the middle and outwards to about the thickness of a pencil.
11. Form a U shape with the rolled out dough. Bring the ends together and form 2 knots in the middle, then take the ends and fold back on the bend of the U pushing down slightly but firmly.
12. Boil some water in a kettle enough for 2 cups (approximately 480 ml)
13. Measure 2 cups (480 ml) of very hot water into a bowl and empty contents of pack labelled baking soda into the water. Stir to dissolve the baking soda. Check water has cooled slightly- enough to dip fingers in.
14. Carefully pick each pretzel up at the pinched ends and dip into the baking soda solution. Place each pretzel lightly on a tea towel to drain off excess water before putting back on the baking tray.
15. When all pretzels have been dipped in the solution and returned to baking tray, place baking tray in centre of hot over and leave to bake until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
16. In the meantime, melt about 40g of butter in a bowl in microwave or over a pot of boiling water.
17. Empty packet of Cinnamon Sugar into another bowl.
18. (OPTIONAL) Brush the baked pretzels with melted butter before they cool or dip each pretzel in the butter ensuring all sides are well coated.
19. (OPTIONAL ). Then place the butter coated pretzels in the cinnamon sugar ensuring all sides are coated.
20. Serve warm or room temperature.