Description of Recipe:-
PRETZEL DOG RECIPE
1. Empty and mix together the contents of the bag labelled dough mix and the yeast packet into a large and deep bowl or the work bowl of your stand mixer.
2. Measure 237ml (231g or 8.2oz or 1 US cup) of hand hot tap water into the contents of the bowl.
3. Use a wooden spoon to combine until dough starts to form.
4. Then with mixer fitted with dough hook, mix on low until a fairly slack, tacky, soft and smooth dough is formed. The dough will pull away from the sides of the bowl. (About 8 minutes). OR Turn dough onto a clean surface and knead with hands for about 15 minutes until a fairly slack, tacky, soft and smooth dough is formed. You should not need to add any more flour to either the surface or your hands.
5. Very lightly grease a clean bowl with oil (e.g. vegetable oil, sunflower oil etc.) and place dough in the bowl.
6. Cover with a damp tea towel or lightly greased cling film and leave to rest in a warm, draft-free place for 15 minutes.
7. Fully immerse hotdogs in hot water for about 5 minutes and empty into a colander to drain before forming pretzel dogs.
8. Preheat oven to 200°C.
9. Lightly grease a baking tray with oil set next to your working area.
10. Do not oil the surface you will be rolling the dough out on. Cut the dough into 10 equal pieces with a sharp knife or pizza cutter. Take a piece of dough and cover the rest with a damp tea towel or lightly oiled cling film.
11. Roll the piece of dough on your work surface with both hands to about 36cm long working from the middle and outwards to about the thickness of a pencil.
12. Wrap the rolled out dough at one end of the hotdog completely covering the end and roll the dough round the hotdog gently but firmly and slightly overlapping each time. Leave a bit of hotdog exposed at the other end. Cut away any excess dough strip and use for the next hotdog.
13. Boil some water in a kettle enough for about 2 cups (approx 480ml)
14. Measure 2 cups (approx 480ml) of very hot water into a bowl and empty contents of pack labelled baking soda into the water. Stir to dissolve the baking soda. Check water has cooled slightly- enough to dip fingers in.
15. Carefully pick each pretzel dog up and dip into the baking soda solution. Place each pretzel dog lightly on a tea towel to drain off excess water before putting back on the baking tray.
16. After all pretzel dogs have been dipped in the solution and returned to baking tray, place baking tray in centre of hot oven and leave to bake until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
17. (OPTIONAL) In the meantime, melt about 40g of butter in a bowl in microwave or over a pot of boiling water.
18. (OPTIONAL) Brush the baked pretzel dogs with melted butter before they cool or dip each pretzel in the butter ensuring all sides are well coated.
19. Enjoy fresh out of the oven.